A Clean Sweep: Apply Your Blush Like A Pro
When it comes to blush application, master makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift keeps it simple. Her number one rule of thumb: “Always apply your blush above the nostril line to give the face a lifting effect.” She credits her longtime friend and everyone’s favorite supermodel, Gisele Bünchen, for sharing this onset secret. Here’s the story: One time long ago, Rose-Marie applied the iconic model’s blush a tad too low below the nostril line and Gisele commented “Rosie, you’re giving me my sad puppy dog face.” Rose-Marie went back and reapplied to the heights of her cheekbones. Suddenly, her whole face looked instantly lifted and radiant, and it was sad Gisele no more.
Blush is an easy way to create that healthy glow your mother always told you about (anyone else have a mom or grandma that always said “pinch your cheeks” before a date or a job interview?). And when it comes to RMS Beauty’s blush collection, that is what it’s all about: bringing forth your inner radiance with a natural-looking, ‘just got home from a run’ flush of color. Explore our two hero blush products: the original Lip2Cheek (it’s a cult favorite for a reason) and our most recent innovation, ReDimension Hydra Powder Blush. Both are formulated with skin-loving clean ingredients to nourish while adding gorgeous color to the cheeks—an effortless way to breathe new life into the face and achieve that signature RMS glow.
Mastering the Application of ReDimension Hydra Powder Blush
A blush and highlighter in one chic, refillable compact? Yes, please! This revolutionary, talc-free blush was designed to build multidimensional 3D color while giving skin long-lasting radiance. Thanks to Gel2Powder technology, this unique formula glides onto skin like a cream and finishes like a luminous powder. It’s infused with skin-loving clean ingredients like organic Jojoba Oil and Wildcrafted Buriti Oil to nourish and smooth the skin, which makes it easy to use and feel good about. Here's how you can achieve a flawless application:
- Prep and Prime: Before applying any makeup, ensure your skin is clean and moisturized. Apply ReEvolve Radiance Locking Primer or Beauty Oil for a hydrated base. This step allows for a smoother application and better product adherence. Follow with your complexion product, like UnCoverup Concealer or ReEvolve Foundation to even skin tone and create a natural-looking finish.
- Choosing the Right Shade: We offer a range of gorgeous, multidimensional shades in our ReDimension Hydra Powder Blush collection. To find your perfect match, consider your undertone and choose a shade that complements it. Remember, lighter shades provide a subtle flush, while deeper shades deliver a bolder pop of luminous color.
- Application Techniques: When it comes to blush application, Rose-Marie says placement is almost more important than color selection. Using our Skin2Skin Powder Blush Brush, hold the brush on an angle to pick up product. Sweep onto the apples of cheeks in an upward motion beginning just above the nostril line for a lifting effect. Continue to apply in this motion to build up to your desired color. For a whisper of color, use our Fan Brush to highlight the high points of the face like your cheekbones and brow bones, giving skin a light dusting of luminosity.
Mastering the Application of Lip2Cheek
One of the original products to launch with the brand in 2009, Lip2Cheek has been around for over a decade and a staple in some of the world’s top model’s and beauty editor’s makeup bags for a reason. This award-winning, multitasking, cream color is infused with clean nourishing ingredients and comes in a range of buildable colors with pro performance. Being a cream blush, it makes the skin look effortlessly dewy and moist, rather than dry as it can under a baked powder blush. And don’t forget, you can pop onto lips for a beautiful, coordinated look! Follow these simple steps to achieve flawless Lip2Cheek application every time.
- Prep and Prime: Before applying any makeup, ensure your skin is clean and moisturized. Apply ReEvolve Radiance Locking Primer or Beauty Oil for a hydrated base. This step allows for a smoother application and better product adherence. Follow with your complexion product, like UnCoverup Concealer or ReEvolve Natural Finish Foundation to even skin tone and create a natural-looking finish. For a flawless lip application, exfoliate your lips gently with a lip scrub or a soft toothbrush. Then, moisturize them with a nourishing lip balm, like Liplights Cream Lip Gloss or Tinted Daily Lip Balm. This prepping process helps to create a smooth canvas for the Lip2Cheek when applied onto lips.
- Finding Your Perfect Shade: From neutral browns to vibrant pops of red, Lip2Cheek comes in an array of flattering shades. Consider your skin tone and the desired look you wish to achieve. If you're aiming for a natural, subtle appearance, opt for shades closer to your natural lip color. For a bolder statement, experiment with vibrant shades that complement your skin undertone. For her ideal blush shade, Rose-Marie prefers subtle brown tones over reds and pinks.
- Applying Lip2Cheek: Rose-Marie’s go-to application method is always with fingers. However, you can always use the Skin2Skin Blush Brush. With fingers, gently tap a small amount of Lip2Cheek onto the apples of your cheeks. Use the base of the nostril as your guide -- and never apply color below that line as it tends to pull the face down. Applying it higher lifts the face, and at any age, who doesn’t want that? No puppy dogs here! Continue to gently blend the product in an upward motion. The warmth of your fingers helps to blend the product seamlessly onto your skin. Gradually build up the color to your desired intensity. And always check in natural lighting to ensure everything is blended and natural-looking. Rose-Marie also likes to apply blush high enough on the cheeks where it meets the bottom of the “bag” of the eye, which lessens the look of them, and gives a youthful effect.
For your lips, use your fingertips to apply Lip2Cheek directly, starting from the center and working your way outwards. Build up the color to achieve the desired intensity.
The Finishing Touches
Setting the Look: To ensure longevity and to set your makeup, try our UnPowder. Using the included cotton puff, press product into skin, concentrating on the T-zone area for a silky, satin finish. For an overall blurred, matte finish, apply with the Skin2Skin Powder Blush Brush, using circular motions to work it in. This helps to control shine and keeps your blush and lip color in place throughout the day.
Personalize Your Glow: Remember, makeup is a form of self-expression, and all of our products are super versatile. Experiment and mix and layer different shades of ReDimension Hydra Powder Blush and Lip2Cheek to create your own unique glow. As Rose-Marie says, there are no rules with my products -- have fun!